City of Albert Lea Covid-19 Information

For the health and safety of the public and the employees of the City of Albert Lea, the following locations are closed:

  • Albert Lea City Arena
  • Albert Lea City Hall
  • Albert Lea Public Library
  • Albert Lea Senior Center

Update on City Hall Operations:
Because of the ongoing pandemic, City Hall will remain closed. However, city staff has been and remains available to provide service and answer questions. Staff from every department is available via phone and email. Individual updates regarding specific departments and services can be found below:

Administration, City Clerk and Human Resources:

Staff are available by appointment. Please call (507) 377-4330.


If you have any other questions or concerns regarding civil or criminal matters involving the City please contact the City Attorney’s office at (507) 377-4320 or email Thank you for your consideration during this time.

Business Licenses:

Please contact the City Clerk by phone (507) 377-4335 or email if you have any questions regarding business licenses.

Development Services:

We are Inspections, Zoning, and Planning departments combined.

The following is information on how to obtain services during the public closure of City Hall.

The City’s comprehensive website has extensive information under the tabs entitled “Inspections” or “Planning and Development”.

During business hours we will either be answering telephones or returning calls on a daily basis. We can process any application electronically if you have a scanning and sending capability. We can also accomplish this by mailing methods. All common applications are on the City Website either under “Inspections” or “Planning and Development”.

Staff can be contacted during any closure by calling 507-377-4340.

Individual contact information is as follows:

Wayne Sorensen, Building and Zoning Official, Department Supervisor. General questions on any departmental issue.
Specific Zoning Ordinance questions.

Robert Rice, Lead Inspector. Commercial and residential building projects.

Brad Skogheim, Building Inspector. Residential building projects.

Megan Boeck, City Planner. Main contact for Business and Land use development, land use issues, including Conditional Use permits, variances, administrative surveys, and also general zoning questions.

Cierra Maras, Administrative Assistant. All general information and contact referrals.

Dock Rentals

** Notice of updated dock permit deadline information below **
Dock and Garden renewal applications and payment can be returned the following ways:
1. Mail to 221 E. Clark St.
2. Place in the drop slot at City Hall – Main entrance off of Clark St.
* Checks made payable to The City of Albert Lea.

Leave us a detailed message at 507-377-4370 with further questions.

Engineering Department:

Please call 507-377-4325 with any questions. Staff may be reached by email at:

Steven Jahnke, City Engineer and Director of Public Works
Chris Lowe
Dalton Syverson
Chris Hebblewhite
Clark Hagen
Jill Steinhauer, Administrative Asst.

Finance Department, Accounts Payable and Utility Billing:

The Finance Department can be reached by phone from 8 am – 4 pm Monday – Friday at 507-377-4300.

Please contact the Finance Director by email at if you have additional questions.


The Albert Lea Public Library has been, and will continue, to offer no-contact pickup materials and computer use for by appointment. Visit the No-Contact Pickup page or the Computer Use by Appointment page on the website for all the details. Digital resources, including OverDrive, Hoopla, and TumbleBooks are available 24/7. Those without a library card can visit OverDrive to sign up for an instant card for access to ebooks and audiobooks.

Library staff are available by phone, 507-377-4350 or 507-377-4353 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday – Thursday.

The Library Book Drop is open from 2-6 p.m. Monday – Thursday

You may contact the library staff at with any questions or concerns.

Public Safety:

Call 911 for any Emergencies. For non-emergencies, please contact your local police/fire via phone or email before visiting a local department.

Albert Lea Police Department 507-377-5200
Albert Lea Fire Rescue 507-377-4341


  • Triaging calls for service to limit direct contact. Follow-up via telephone/email when appropriate.
  • Emergency medical response only (EMS primary / ALFR secondary)
  • Reduced self-initiated field activity Re: Refuse / Grass complaints (Thompson Sanitation expects two month back log as of 3-23-20) – these concerns are inconvenient but recoverable TBD. Bottom line up front – we won’t be canvassing the City (Spring cleanup) until pandemic free.


  • Medical response (EMS primary / ALFR secondary / ALPD third)
  • Suspend commercial fire inspections
  • Suspend Rental inspections

Utility Bills:

For information on utility bills, please contact the Finance Department, 507-377-4300.



What should I do if I am a victim of domestic assault and am in need of protection to avoid emotional or physical harm?

A: An OFP or HRO can help prevent further domestic abuse or harassment; prohibit a Respondent from contacting you and your family at any time; and allow police to arrest Respondent without a warrant for violations of the order. These orders can be obtained without paying a fee. Contact Albert Lea’s Crime Victim’s Crisis Center at (507) 377-5460 to get help from an advocate who knows the process and can support you through all of the steps. Forms are also available online through the Minnesota Judicial Branch website ( under Get Forms, Domestic Abuse and Fee Waiver/In Forma Pauperis.

What should I do if I am issued a citation for no proof of insurance and had insurance at the time of the stop?

A: If you have a citation that requires you to provide proof of insurance within 10 days, please email a copy of your citation and proof of insurance to Please provide your phone number and address in case there are issues. Upon verification you possessed insurance coverage at the time of the stop, a dismissal of the citation will be mailed to you within two (2) weeks. If you do not receive a copy of the dismissal please email/call our office.

The courts are prioritizing cases, what should I do if I have an upcoming court hearing?

A: If you have a case scheduled at Freeborn County District Court between March 17 and March 30, 2020 call (507) 377-5157 to determine if your case will be heard or if it has been rescheduled to a future date.

What should I do if I want to schedule an appointment with the City Attorney to discuss my case or a case for which I am a victim?

A: Because of the need to minimize exposure to the coronavirus, the City Attorney will not be scheduling in-person appointments between March 17 and May 26, 2020. If you have questions or concerns regarding civil or criminal matters involving the City, please call (507) 377-4320 to schedule a telephone conference with the City Attorney.

Pet Licensing

How can I obtain/renew my pet license?

A: Pet owners are required to license their dogs and cats. Pet licenses are valid for three years. To obtain a license, please mail the following items:

  • Pet Owner’s Name, address and telephone number

  • Proof of the pet’s vaccination and proof of spaying/neutering

  • Payment:

$75 if not spayed/ neutered

$10 if spayed/neutered

A pet tag, along with the documentation provided, will be mailed to the pet owner.

The mailing address is:

City Finance Department

221 Clark Street E

Albert Lea, MN 56007

If you are not able to mail documentation and payment, licenses can be processed by City Hall by appointment. If you have questions or need to schedule an appointment, please call (507) 377-4300.


How can I turn in applications and payment for dock and garden rentals?

A: The Recreation staff will be available by phone at 507-377-4370 Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm. Payments can be made by credit card over the phone and applications can be mailed to 221 E. Clark St. There is also a drop box available at City Hall, located at the main entrance off of Clark St. We will provide a temporary drop box outside the Recreation Office at the City Arena Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm for drop offs.

When can we register for summer programming?

A: Registration for summer programming will be announced at a later time. Please watch the City of Albert Lea website and Facebook page for updates.

Will there be any public skate/open hockey/open freestyle figure skating opportunities?

A: No. The City Arena is closed to the public indefinitely.

Can I still reserve park pavilions?

A: Park pavilions are currently unavailable for rent through May26th. Reservations for rentals after May 26th can be made over the phone and paid with a credit card. You can also visit (Departments → Parks and Recreation → Pavilions) to view pavilion schedules and make reservations.

How do I apply for summer employment with Parks and Recreation?

A: There will be no summer employment with Parks and Recreation in 2020.

What can I do for recreation?

A: Frisbee Golf, Walk/Jog/Bike the Blue Zones and Blazing Star Trails, Geocache, Scavenger Hunt in the parks, yard work, watch the eagles at Myre Big Island State Park, fishing.