The City of Albert Lea Fire and Inspection Department administers and enforces the Minnesota State Building Code and the City of Albert Lea Zoning Ordinance.
The purpose of the building codes are to provide minimum standards to safeguard life or limb, health, property, and public welfare by regulating and controlling the design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, location and maintenance of all buildings, structures and certain equipment within this jurisdiction.
NATURE OF WORK
City building inspectors enforce the Minnesota State building code and it’s amendments and the City of Albert Lea Zoning Ordinances. Types of inspections for new construction:
- Insulation & Vapor Barrier
- Underground Plumbing
- Above Ground Plumbing
- Mechanical & Air Tests
Other inspections include:
- New Furnace
- New A/C
- New Water Heater
- Zoning Violations
City building inspectors also issue building permits, review plans, answer questions and assist with public and contractor education.
Minimum Housing Department
NATURE OF WORK
Minimum Housing Inspectors investigate, inspect and enforce the City of Albert Lea minimum standards ordinance for dwelling structures.
- Inspect dwelling units such as rooming houses, apartments, mobile homes, temporary shelters and other types of structures used for human shelter.
- Render technical advice and assistance to owners and tenants by recommending construction methods by which minimum housing standards may be achieved.
- Recommend demolition of structures considered unsafe and beyond repair.
- Investigate garbage, junk, and long grass complaints.